ENC1102 Topic Exploration Paper - Goal:
o to explore your research issue/topic and personal connection to it
o to plan an argumentative approach to the issue/topic (research question,
hypothesis, and reasons)
- Task: To begin the writing process, write a topic exploration paper which introduces the event or issue you have chosen. In your paper, you will
summarize a current newspaper article which deals with the issue, you will
explain your personal connection to the issue or why you chose it, and you will
explore the direction you plan on taking your paper.
- Source: One news article, available through TBC’s LIRN Library, published within the past 12 months.
- Length: Responses to individual questions should follow the guidelines below. The entire completed assignment should be at least 700 words.
- Instructions: 1. Provide a Turabian-style citation for your article. The format is as follows:
Author’s Last Name, Author’s First Name. “Title of Article.” Title of
Newspaper, Month Day, Year Published. URL.
2. In 1-2 paragraphs, summarize the article/issue. Assume your reader has
little to no prior knowledge of the issue.
3. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe a specific real-life situation or personal
experience related to this issue. This could be something that happened to
you or someone you personally know, or it could be a related event that
you are familiar with in the news. This will supply a bit of background as to
why you chose to write on this issue and what you already know about it.
4. List 2 or more research questions that you could pursue as part of your
research. What do you want to know about this issue or event? Though
you are listing two or more questions here, your research should ultimately
be focused on a single guiding question.
- Format and Submission—Follow guidelines in the syllabus.