What am I required to do in this assignment?
The events of 2020 have presented challenges for us all that will leave a lasting legacy. Sport and Physical Activity has not been exempt from the world events is currently at crucial point in its history. The impact of COVID has changed business models forever and many organisations face difficult choices in moving forward. For some the choice is stark, change, adapt or face extinction. Consequently 2021 will be a year of change for sport and physical activity and much will change, Sport England are developing a new strategy which will impact the future of community sport whilst many professional sports, such as football, are attempting to establish new, sustainable, models of practice.
Amidst this challenge, strategic planning is required and this assessment gives you the opportunity to develop your strategic thinking. To do this, you are to select an organization of your choice, to use as a case study, and prepare a verbal presentation and supporting document that provides an outline of how that organization should strategically move forward to survive and thrive in the post COVID world.
Please ensure that you select the organisation carefully. Below is some guidance for selecting and organization.
1. Do not use an organisation that is currently undergoing, or has recently completed, strategic planning (i.e. Sport England, The FA) as the work has already been recently completed.
2. Consider an organisation that you know something about, or one that you can easily research.
Submission Deadline Marks and Feedback
Before 10am on:
20 working days after deadline (L4, 5 and 7) 15 working days after deadline (L6) 10 working days after deadline (block delivery)
Unit title & code SPO095-3
Assignment number and title Strategic Planning Presentation
Assignment type Verbal Presentation and supporting document
Weighting of assignment 100%
Size or length of assessment 15 minute presentation and 4 page (max) document
Unit learning outcomes 1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of in-depth knowledge of the processes involved within strategic sports development management and understanding of relevant planning approaches utilised in the provision of sport development programmes
2. Synthesise the approaches to planning in order to design a creative sport development programme
3. Chose an organisation that is a sensible size, it is not advisable to choose one that is too large. 4. You can chose an organisation that operates at either a local, regional or national level. 5. However, if selecting a national organisation (such as a National Governing Body) focus on a smaller one as completing a strategic
plan for a large organisation (such as The RFU or The LTA) is too bigger task for this assessment.
The presentation element of the assessment should last no longer than 15 minutes and you should be prepared for approximately 5 minutes of questions on your content. You should support your presentation with an information document (maximum of 4 pages) to support your analysis and bring your thinking to life.
Your work should clearly articulate the key ideas you propose and therefore, as a minimum, it should outline the following key elemen ts
1. The strategic context, internally and externally, in which your idea is operating 2. The challenge and problems your orgnisations needs to overcome 3. The vision for your strategic development 4. Key objectives to achieve the vision 5. Evidence on how your strategic idea will meet the need and demand of consumers in a changing landscape 6. Full details on your marketing mix – the product or programmes to be offered, price, place and promotion 7. The potential partnerships you need to develop to implement your idea 8. The potential impact of your strategic development 9. How your strategic idea will be sustainable 10. The approach to be taken to monitor and evaluate the success of your strategic choices
The manner in which the proposal is presented is just as important as the content itself. This is a formal presentation and due care and attention must be given to ensure that the work is presented professionally.
As this is an applied evidence-based exercise, it is expected that you draw upon a wide-variety of information sources, i.e., policy documents, industry periodical articles, as well as academic publications (book chapters and journal articles).
All work should be written in the third person.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the strategic planning required for creating sport programmes
2. Analyse the strategic planning required for a chosen sports programme
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
To achieve a good grade you will develop a professional, detailed and coherent presentation that clearly identifies your chosen strategic sports development programme. The presentation will provide effective analysis of the environment you are operating within as well as clearly justifying your choice of programme through a range of different evidence sources. The presentation style should be clear and articulate with a material (such as slides) that are engaging for the listener.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
Throughout the lectures we will explore a range of strategic management tools relevant for sports development and apply these to the sector. We will explore the wider environment in which sport operates and evaluate the levels of innovation within the sector.
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and consider your grade before you submit.
3rd Class – 40-49% Lower 2nd – 50-59% Upper 2nd – 60-69% 1st Class – 70%+
Limited demonstration of management theories that highlights a lack of personal undertanding
An appropriate demonstration of management theories that highlights some level of personal undertanding
A clear demonstration of management theories that highlights clear personal undertanding
Excellent demonstration of indepth subject knowledge that highlights clear understanding of appropriate management theories
Limited identification of management theories with no application to the sport and physical activity programme
Appropriate identification of management theories with appropriate application to the sport and physical activity programme.
A clear and concise demonstration of management theories with obvious and coherent application to the sport and physical activity programme
Excellent critical analysis undertaken that considers the impact of management on the sport and physical activity programme
Limited use of literature and / or applied sector examples that support points made within your discussion.
Appropriate academic literature and / or applied sector examples identified that support points made within your discussion.
A clear and concise use of appropriate academic literature and / or applied sector examples that support points made within your discussion.
Excellent use of appropriate academic literature and / or applied sector examples that clearly support points made within your discussion.
An unstructured, poor presentation, lacking structure, with grammatical errors and a consistently incorrect Harvard approach to citations and referencing.
An appropriate presentation with some grammatical errors, lack of flow but a generally correct Harvard approach to citations and referencing.
A clear and concise presentation with an effective structure, limited grammatical errors and a generally correct Harvard approach to citations and referencing.
Excellent academic presentation with a coherent, fluid narrative, no grammatical errors and a correct Harvard approach to citations and referencing.